Saturday didn’t start out very well.
I left my ditty bag at the bus stop on the way down to the ship. Fortunately, I realized it almost immediately and got off at the next stop. I would have been really bummed if it had disappeared.
I caught the next bus and made it to the harbor about 20 minutes later than usual. When I got to the pier, I spoke to the fellow who is in charge of the HMC building regarding the fact that the alarm on the ship had gone off the night before. I was rather concerned when he told me he had found bullet casings (from a .22 caliber firearm, so I’m told)* on the Kulamanu (ex-Rella Mae) side of the pier.
I walked along the pier with him and sure enough, I saw a couple, which I picked up.
(Not sure if this was related to the alarm. We spoke to one of the HECO guards later on, who said he hadn’t noticed anything suspicious.)
Anyway, I noticed that a new rig to haul plywood aboard the ship had been set up. I was rather puzzled by this, since there was a working boom (the one Brush and I put together) already set up slightly aft. Seems like extra work… But hey, whatever. It’s not something I’m involved with.
I walked along the ship’s side of the pier to see if there were any bullet casings. I didn’t notice any.
By that time, Jamie, one of our naval architect friends had arrived for a meeting about the pumping system. There is still some work we have to do, so we wanted to discuss the plan for the rest of the system. Paul arrived a little while later to complete the triumvirate. We ran one of the pumps and discussed our options and priorities.
It was a good meeting and I’m rather pumped up (ha ha) to finish the work.
After Jamie and Paul left, I did a few minor things. I’ve not been feeling well, so I wanted to take it easy.
Nothing appeared to be out of place, which was good considering the problems we’ve had with intruders.
I removed the baubles from the bow and stern:
I found it interesting that they were all partially filled with water. They have small openings at the tops, but I would never have guessed that rain water would find its way inside.
Rotten wood around margin of fo’c'sle head:
Some of the plywood in place:
I decided to leave early to go home and get some rest.
*ETA: I’ve been informed that they are not bullet casings after all. Whew! That’s a relief.